Total Premiums Offered: $11,669
Superintendent: Kelly Reilly
(615) 800-3675, ext. 4
Assistant Superintendent: Jenn Duncan
Entry Form Deadlines: Online Registration: until 10:00 p.m., August 19, 2017 (click here)
Mail-in Entry Forms must be postmarked by August 12, 2017 (Printable Form)
Creative Arts Department Rules & Guidelines
- All Creative Arts Divisions are subject to the Tennessee State Fair Rules, located on page 9, Department and Division Rules.
- An entry fee per class will be charged, $2.00 for Open/Adult and $1.00 for Youth Divisions.
- Pre-registration is MOST important. Members must register with the Tennessee State Fair to be eligible for award money. Deadlines are listed on page 8.
- Entries will not be accepted before or after receiving dates. Exhibitors MUST pay all freight and express charges on their exhibits. Refer to chart below. To be eligible for premiums, all exhibits must be in place before the official judging.
- Fair management reserves the right to alter, cancel or refuse to show any item in the best interest of the public.
- Adult Divisions exhibitors are to be aged 19 and older. Youth Division exhibitors are for entrants 18 or younger as of June 1st of the current year. Exceptions may be made for seniors in high school in divisions classes divided by grade.
- All articles for exhibit in this department must be strictly the handiwork of the exhibitor. Those engaged in any line of work as a profession or business or as teachers of same are considered professional and must exhibit in Adults/Open Division where specified.
- Entrants may enter items in as many classes as they choose. Only one item is allowed per class. Any one item entered may qualify for only one class (i.e. one painting may not be entered under both the “Fair Themed Item” and “Oil or Acrylic” classes).
- Articles shall not have been entered in the Tennessee State Fair previously and must be in good condition, clean and free of odor.
- The management will give good care to all articles on exhibition, but will not be responsible for loss or damage, should any occur.
- BEST OF SHOW will be a single exhibit especially selected by the Judge(s) as outstanding, chosen from 1st place winners in class(es). Best of Show ribbons will be awarded for Divisions ONLY where they are listed. Best of Show award will not be given to same person two years in succession.
- Judges reserve the right to withhold premiums/ribbons if entries are insufficient or are not of award caliber. Decision of the judge(s) is final.
- No exhibits will be released prior to the close of the Fair. Entries will be released for pick on Monday between 9 a.m. until 7 p.m. after the close of the Fair, no exceptions. ALL entries must be out by posted time or entries become property of the Tennessee State Fair Association. If any entry is removed before the end of the fair, the premium money and ribbon will be forfeited.
- Premiums will be paid according to the official awards entered in the judge’s book. Because ribbons are sometimes misplaced, the Judge’s Book will be the final authority for determination of winners. Premium checks will be paid accordingly. 1st-$8; 2nd-$6; 3rd-$4
- Premiums will be issued at the same time as the release of exhibits. You must provide a photo id and have your claim ticket (s) present. Those that are not able to claim their premiums at that time must sign a release form at the day of exhibit delivery. The person picking up the premiums will have to provide a photo id and have the claim ticket (s) in hand. Awards will be located in the Creative Arts Building in the cash office. Unclaimed awards will be issued and mailed as soon as possible to the close of the fair.
Delivery and Shipping:
Entries will not be accepted before or after receiving dates.
Hand Delivered entries are to be brought to the Creative Arts Building on the following dates and times.
Tuesday, Aug 29th 11 a.m. – 8 p.m.
Wednesday, Aug 30th 9 a.m. – 6 p.m.
(except for live floral and bakery items)
Bakery Dept. & Live Floral or Fair-y Habitat
Tuesday, Sept. 5th 5 p.m. – 7 p.m.
Wednesday, Sept 6th 9 a.m. – 11 a.m.
Sewing & Quilting Designated “Off-Site Drop Off Locations” will be listed and updated as the are secured.
Mailing Exhibits: When distance prevents personal Check-In:, they may be mailed. Please do not send canned exhibits. If you’re mailing an exhibit, you MUST notify the Creative Arts Superintendent, Kelly Reilly either by phone 423-503-0642 or email: SuperCA@tnstatefair.org. DO NOT SEND ARTICLES FOR EXHIBIT WITHOUT FIRST HAVING THEM ENTERED. Please include a copy of your entry form with your exhibits. Any entries received by mail will not be returned by mail. All mailed exhibits must be sent PRE-PAID (no C.O.D.s) and addressed to:
Tennessee State Fair
Creative Arts Department
P.O. Box 24747
Nashville, TN 37202.
Quilt and Sewing After Fair Pick Up Dates at Off-Site* Sponsors:Entries will be returned back to the shops by closed of business on Saturday September 23rd. The shops will notify you when the items have arrived back from the Fair. If someone intends to come and pick up their entries at the Fairgrounds on September 18th, even though they dropped them off at a sponsoring shop to enter them, they MUST indicate the intended pickup place to be written on the entry paper next to the shop’s name so that the TN State Fair is prepared to release them to the entrants on that date otherwise they will be held back for delivery the following week. This is for the security of both the entries, the entrant’s piece of mind and the shops’ security.
Creative Arts Divisions
Click on your division of interest for complete rules and classes offered.
A special thank you to all of the State Fair staff, department chairmen and co-chairs, volunteers, judges, and exhibitors for your countless hours of hard work. I appreciate each of you! Your dedication to our State Fair makes it successful each year. Together we are Tennessee Proud!
Creative Arts Superintendent
∼Prior Year Special Awards∼
Fine Arts Youth Artist of the Year
2016 Shannon Abernathy, Nashville, TN
Handcrafted Arts Youth Artist of the Year
2016 Christian Spivey, Nashville, TN
Photography Merit Award Winners
2014 Joyce Oberle, Franklin, TN
2015 Tim Temple, Pegram, TN
2016 Kato Kinder, Brentwood, TN
Photographer of the Year
2014 Scott Oberle, Franklin, TN
2015 Tim Temple, Pegram, TN
2016 Jo Fields, Nashville, TN
Photography Best Overall Youth
2016 Jesse Smith, Nashville, TN
Ora Buck Award
2013 Pauline Malott, Portland, TN
2014 Emily Johnson, La Vergne, TN
2015 Edna Mallios, Spring Hill, TN
2016 Opal Ellinston, Hermitage, TN
Best Guild Participation Award
2013 Country Quilters Guild, Clarksville, TN
2014 Country Quilters Guild, Clarksville, TN
2015 The Quilting Bees, Murfreesboro, TN
2016 Music City Quilters, Nashville, TN
Outstanding Canner of Year
2014 Patsy Rogers, Taft, TN
2015 Nancy Chambers, Cumberland Furnace, TN
2016 Nancy Chambers, Cumberland Furnace, TN
Apple Pie Winners
2013 Molly Callicott, Lawrenceburg, TN
2014 Jackie Rule, Nashville, TN
2015 Sherrie Williams, Hendersonville, TN
2016 Colleen Grause, Hermitage, TN