Superintendent: Kelly Reilly
(615) 800-3675, ext. 4
Assistant Superintendent: Jenn Duncan
Creative Arts Department Rules & Guidelines
- All Creative Arts Divisions are subject to the Tennessee State Fair Rules, located on page 10, Department and Division Rules.
- Pre-registration is MOST important. Exhibitors must register with the Tennessee State Fair to be eligible for award money.
- An entry fee per class will be charged, $2.00 for Open/Adult Divisions and NO FEES for Youth Divisions.
- Late Fees will be enforced! Those who do not Pre-register entries, will pay additional fees. Late registration will be on Check-In Dates only. Late Fees will be: $4.00 for Open/Adult Division and $2.00 for Youth Divisions
- Entries will not be accepted before or after receiving dates. Exhibitors MUST pay all freight and express charges on their exhibits. Refer to the posted dates. To be eligible for premiums, all exhibits must be in place before the official judging.
- Delivering Items to the State Fair: Hand Delivered entries are to be brought to the Creative Arts Building at the posted dates and times. Mailing Exhibits: When distance prevents personal Check-In:, they may be mailed. Please do not send canned exhibits. If you’re mailing an exhibit, you MUST notify the Creative Arts Superintendent, Kelly Reilly either by phone 423-503-0642 or email: SuperCA@tnstatefair.org. DO NOT SEND ARTICLES FOR EXHIBIT WITHOUT FIRST HAVING THEM ENTERED. Please include a copy of your entry form with your exhibits. Any entries received by mail will not be returned by mail. All mailed exhibits must be sent PRE-PAID (no C.O.D.s) and addressed to: Tennessee State Fair/Creative Arts Department; P.O. Box 24747; Nashville, TN 37202.
- Fair management reserves the right to alter, cancel or refuse to show any item in the best interest of the public.
- Adult Division exhibitors are to be aged 19 and older. Youth Division exhibitors are for entrants 18 or younger as of June 1st of the current year. Exceptions may be made for seniors in high school in divisions classes divided by grade.
- Entries must be made in only one of the two categories-either (1) Experience/Professional or (2) Beginner/Intermediate/Amateur -but not both. Those engaged in any line of work as a profession or business or as teachers of the same are considered professional and must exhibit in the classes where specified.
- All articles for exhibit in this department must be strictly the handiwork of the exhibitor.
- Photography and Canned Products must have been completed within the last twelve (12) months. All quilted items entered must have been completed by the exhibitor with the last five (5) years. All other items entered must have been completed by the exhibitor within the last two (2) years.
- Entrants may enter items in as many classes as they choose. Only one item is allowed per class. Exception: Exhibitor will be eligible to enter up to 2 items per class where indicated. However, items MUST be distinctively different articles and listed separately on entry form, with the descriptions. Sets of items, such as napkins, are considered one entry. Any one item entered may qualify for only one class (i.e. one painting may not be entered under both the “Fair Themed Item” and “Oil or Acrylic” classes).
- Articles shall not have been entered in the Tennessee State Fair previously. All articles must be in good condition. No articles that are soiled, stained, damaged, having an odor, or covered with pet hair will be accepted.
- Exhibitors may supply their own stands, easels, etc. for the purpose of displaying their work. Please label each with “Exhibitor’s Name”, not visible to the public.
- The management will give good care to all articles on exhibition, but will not be responsible for loss or damage, should any occur.
- BEST OF SHOW will be a single exhibit especially selected by the Judge(s) as outstanding, chosen from 1st place winners in class(es). Best of Show ribbons will be awarded for Divisions ONLY where they are listed.
- Judges reserve the right to withhold premiums/ribbons if entries are insufficient or are not of award caliber. Decision of the judge(s) is final.
- No exhibits will be released prior to the close of the Fair. Entries will be released for pick on Monday between 9 a.m. until 6 p.m. after the close of the Fair, no exceptions. ALL entries must be out by posted time or entries become property of the Tennessee State Fair Association. If any entry is removed before the end of the fair, the premium money and ribbon will be forfeited.
- Premiums will be paid according to the official awards entered in the judge’s book. Because ribbons are sometimes misplaced, the Judge’s Book will be the final authority for determination of winners. Premiums will be paid accordingly.
- If total premiums won exceed the amount offered by the TN State Fair of $11,344.00, then individual premium amounts will be prorated. Only two monies will be paid to the exhibitor in a particular class.
- Premiums will be issued at the same time as the release of exhibits. You must provide a photo id and have your claim ticket (s) present. Those that are not able to claim their premiums at that time must sign a release form at the day of exhibit delivery. The person picking up the premiums will have to provide a photo id and have the claim ticket (s) in hand. Awards will be located in the Creative Arts Building in the cash office. Unclaimed awards will be issued and mailed as soon as possible to the close of the fair.
Creative Arts Key Dates
Sat., Aug. 17th Mail-in Registration Postmarked
Fri., Aug. 23rd 10 p.m. Online Registration Deadline
Tues., Aug. 27th 11 a.m. – 8 p.m. Receiving of Entries & Late Entry Registration (No live Floral or Bakery entries)
Wed., Aug. 28th 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. Receiving of Entries & Late Entry Registration (No live Floral or Bakery entries)
Tues., Sept. 3rd 5 p.m. – 7 p.m. Receiving of Entries & Late Registration for Live Floral or Bakery
Set-up for Tabletop Christmas Tree Contest & Set-up for Table Setting Contest
Wed. Sept. 4th 9 a.m. – 11 a.m. Receiving of Entries & Late Registration for Live Floral or Bakery
Sun. Sept. 9th 12:00 p.m.– 12:45 p.m. Goo Goo Cluster Baking Contest Received
1 p.m. Goo Goo Cluster Baking Contest
Sat. Sept. 14th 11 a.m.-12 p.m. Receiving for Tennessee Apple Pie Contest
12 p.m. Tennessee Apple Pie Contest
Mon. Sept 16th 9 a.m.-6 p.m. Exhibits Released
Creative Arts Designated “Off-Site Drop Off Location”
Sewing & Quilting Designated “Off-Site Drop Off Locations”
An updated list will be post as they are secured.
Quilt and Sewing After Fair Pick Up Dates at Off-Site* Sponsors: Entries will be returned back to the shops by close of business on Saturday September 21st. The shops will notify you when the items have arrived back from the Fair. If someone intends to come and pick up their entries at the Fairgrounds on September 16th, even though they dropped them off at a sponsoring shop to enter them, they MUST indicate the intended pickup place to be written on the entry paper next to the shop’s name so that the TN State Fair is prepared to release them to the entrants on that date otherwise they will be held back for delivery the following week. This is for the security of both, the entrant’s piece of mind and the shops’ security.
Creative Arts Divisions
Click on your division of interest for complete rules and classes offered.
Fiber Arts ∼ Quilting ∼ Sewing
A special thank you to all of the State Fair staff, department chairmen and co-chairs, volunteers, judges, and exhibitors for your countless hours of hard work. I appreciate each of you!
Your dedication to our State Fair makes it successful each year.
We’re on the moove and having a great time at the State Fair!
Creative Arts Superintendent
Creative Arts Superintendent